Friday, August 9, 2013

My Last Breath


My arms bound in back,
struggling against this attack.
The ropes burn,
tearing my hands from my wrists
as I turn and twist
but the more I resist...
I'm met by a barrage of white fist,
striking down like lightening,
the ringing in my head is like thunder.
Is there any way out?
Filled with doubt I wonder.
Will I survive this night?
Overpowered by cowards robed and hooded in white.
A cross... bathed in fire...
my only source of light.
A crowd begins to take form,
like bees they swarm about no doubt to admire their comrades work.
The on-lookers bare Lucifer's chilling smirk. 
I lift my head in dread as I scan the crowd.
My ears catch this young wretch screaming
 ' LYNCH THAT NiGGER!' loud!
I find not one hint of remorse,
Only laughter and joy in their discourse.
White fists turn red
beating me repeatedly in the face,
stomach, back and head.
60 seconds from death,
barely the strength to breathe left.
The thoughts you think to yourself...
A calming peace pouring over you?!
Only in accepting my present state as fate!
Obscuring this fading world from view,
my eyes fill with tears.
My life flashes before me,
a reflection of past years.
Bruised, beaten, battered... but not broken!
My clothes torn and tattered..,
on my own blood I'm chokin'.
In an instant I'm snatched to my feet.
Still not accepting defeat!
The noose is eased 'round my neck.
I stand stripped of all humanity, dignity, respect.
Undaunted am I approaching the door of death.
' I AM
 A MAN '
I cry out,
with my remaining strength and last breath.
The dark silence drowns me as it quickly descends.
My burden I cast down,
but my life-long struggle
will never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment